Menu Home

Long time, no see

I’ve taken a break from writing since leaving the Record at the end of 2012 to re-set and adjust to my new “normal.” And I don’t know if the anticipation of the life change was more than the eventual shift, but my “new” life has settled nicely, with little discomfort.

Then my brother left on Monday for a 13-week stint at the San Diego Marine Corps Recruit Depot and we are settling, once again, into a new normal.

So far, life at home has been a joy.

Like this afternoon.

All was going as planned until … Bella (child #3) came down with a sudden fever; Kadence (#1) was needing help with her first-ever two-page report; and Masen (#4) was “needing” me to download another game.

While I was distracted with the above-mentioned needs, Rylan was busy playing with some of the animals and inadvertently let out Buddy (our Corgi/Chihuahua mix who is recovering on the back porch from his neutering) as well as our inside cat, Patrick Starr.

In the past, we’ve spent countless hours chasing Patrick Starr around the house, trying to corral him back inside. Today I was in NO mood to begin a who-knows-how-long chase around the farm. Plus, this time of day there’s lots of traffic, and all the drivers seem to slow down and stare at their maniac neighbor chasing what probably looks like an invisible creature from the road. But I love Patrick Starr and the kids love him more, so outside I go.

One thing we’ve learned is that Patrick HATES the cattle herder sticks that rattle when you shake them and will do almost anything to get away from the noise.

After preparing the back porch by opening both sets of doors and getting on some shoes, Rylan and I sprinted out, Gladiator-style, paddles in hand, to capture the cat. What a sight! Rylan ran one way and I used all the herding skills Matt has taught me to circle around wide and move in from the rear. Only problem was that cats aren’t herdable animals and Patrick would not react predictably. That meant that Rylan and I were running around the FRONT yard (where Patrick always escapes to; he couldn’t run in the back where all this would be in private?), paddles shaking, diving here and there. Ridiculous sight to see, I’m sure.

It took a good 10 minutes to finally capture him. And at least a good 20 cars drove by during that time. Perfect. They probably thought that along with my day job, I lost my mind (which I’m sure they were also thinking last Thursday when that sudden snow storm caught me with a whole three rows of clothes on the line!).

So while I am adjusting to my “new” schedule and lifestyle, it is anything but normal. And with four kids and a farm full of unpredictable animals, it likely will never fit into any of Webster’s definitions of the word.

Categories: Animals on the farm


My name is Ginia Oehlschlager and I'm a small-town gal from Missouri. Join me as I document my crazy life on the farm with my husband and four kids. I'm always looking for frugal, simple ways to live the life God set before me. Where faith, family and fun come together on the farm.

1 reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: